Saturday, June 16, 2007

Recital Day!

Jun. 16, 2007


Hello all!


As I mentioned in my little PS. to the flute section of my last entry, I had a flute recital today! It was so fun! If you didn't read my previous post, and so don't know what I played, I performed the Syrinx, by Claude Debussy, and The theme and 5 variations from Les Folies D'Espagne, by Marais. Wow! Such beautiful pieces! They are both unaccompanied, so I was free to stretch and pull wherever it felt good. I love that! I watched the videos after, and I sure move a lot, but I suppose that's just because I'm really into the music. I think that's a good thing. ;) There were a lot of other students, and a flute ensemble, and it was lovely to hear them! It's so fun to realize that there are lots and lots of other flutes in the same room as you, and you're a part of it! I'd love to post a video for you, but I'm not posting pictures of myself online for now. I'm sorry! Anyway, I just wanted to share how much fun I had!

Thank you to everyone who was there and clapped and told me what a great job I did. It really means a lot to hear that from people you respect. I sometimes feel a little insecure after the performance unless somebody says it was good. I mean, after all, you clap for a student even if it was yucky! I don't usually get nervous, unless it's a really big thing, like an exam (I'm trying to convince myself that it's no different, but there's this thing in my head that says it is!), but I think I might get a little bit nervous sometimes wondering if I did a good job, because it's so easy to notice all of your own mistakes and think that it was a lot worse than it was. That's why I love video taping and audio recording. Then you can watch/listen to it, and see that it wasn't as bad as you thought! All that to say thank you everyone for your kind words. They go a very long way in making me a better musician.

This is a list of who is currently helping me in my flutey endeavors! I'd also just like to make mention of the the people at church who compliment me on my flutistic-ness on the rare occasion that I play there. Thank you!

1.) I couldn't do it without my fabulous flute teacher who means the world to me. Tuesday is my favourite day of the week! Thanks so much!

2.) None of this would be possible without my Parents leading every step of the way. Their continued financial support, emotional support, and undying love creates an environment in which I truly can learn about the subject I find most fascinating. Thank you!!!

3.) My best friend and accountability partner, who keeps me in check whether I've practiced enough, and reminds me that she has accomplished a lot more that day than I did, and I should perhaps have spent less time blogging and more time making music. The fact that I have a musical friend is so perfect, too. I really appreciate you in everything.

4.) Last on the list, but first in my heart: Jesus. If it wasn't for his incredible gift of music to me, and the other fantastic musicians around the world, our world would be a sorry, silent world. How dull! Thank you for this precious task you have put in my heart, Jesus! You are so amazing!

Now I'm off to finish making my Father's Day card and wrapping the gift! A new breadboard! He really needs it! :) Shhhhh...don't give it away! :P

I hope whoever reads this finds it interesting! :)
Sheila

PS. Why is it easier to be goofy and fun-like when you type than when you speak? I want to be silly all the time! Sometimes it's hard! :D

No comments: