Thursday, December 6, 2007

Is Christmas really coming?


Merry Christmas! It's that time of the year again, isn't it? This week is the first week of advent, and we've been enjoying reading Tabitha's Travels again this year. We light the candle(s) on Sunday evenings and enjoy that and some scripture reading together. It is so lovely! Above is a picture of our advent wreath this year, isn't it beautiful? The branches are real, as are the pine cones on it (the tree we got the branches from was laden with pine cones). Natural decoration!

I love considering the fact that last year, and for the next couple years now, I will be about the same age that Mary was when she bore Jesus. It is such an amazing fact to think about! I plan to memorize the Magnificat this year, and really play into the part of Mary. After reading God Called a Girl - How Mary Changed her World and You Can Too, I found that I could truly identify with her. What an amazing miracle she was chosen to take part in. She really was 'an instrument in Christ's hands', wasn't she? I want to play into that part more this season too.

I have a surprise or two coming! I am considering perhaps hosting a draw this Christmas! If any of you have a suggestion for a really special Christ/Christmas related prize, please comment and let me know. Your comment with the prize suggestion will NOT be published (to keep it a secret!), so if you have something to say other than a suggestion, (which I'd love!) please make a separate comment. Otherwise I have to cut and paste everything else you said into an 'anonymous' comment with your name at the bottom. I am thinking along the lines of either a craft, craft kit, book, something along those lines, but not necessarily that. You would all have a chance to enter your names! When the time comes, I will enter your name twice if you mention the contest on your blog, or I know you so well that I love you tons and just can't help but enter your name twice. :P

I'm also working on 'decorating' the blog a bit. If you see some weird, random words or bits of HTML strewn around here the next couple days, you know what's going on. I just can't get some things to work. If you're really spiffy with HTML, comment, and let me know. I may need you!

[UPDATE ON THE DECORATION: I've added my favourite snowflake making site up in the top right hand corner of my blog, above the 'about me' bit. :) Who knows what 'Popular Front' is, (looks weird to me), but the snowflake thing is really lovely. You can look at and comment on other people's snowflakes, and make your own very easily, so it's a lot of fun. Check it out!]

So, with that, a very hearty and completely politically incorrect MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all. May you have a fantastic rest of the first week of advent. :)

God bless,
Sheila

4 comments:

Mariah said...

Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! There, now I'm politically incorrect too, lol. It's strange about the controversy going on about Christmas that I think shouldn't even be a problem. People just have to much time on their hand I guess! Lol

The wreath is beautiful! Very pretty!

If I think of any ideas for the contest I'll let you know!

Love you lots!
Maya

Michael said...

I only read "How can I be really dedicated to God?" and was impressed on your dedication to follow Jesus. Keep it up!! Life is hard. As you get older, life will get tougher. Spend as much time in the Word, worship, prayer, intercession, Christian fellowship, accountability, evangelism and anything else to get built up as possible.

Anonymous said...

So you read Tabitha's Travels, eh? My family has read that one. If you ever get tired of it, you could read Bartholomew's Passage or Jotham's Journey. They're pretty much the same idea. :)

Sheila said...

Hello anonymous,

Yes, we've read those two! Lovely books. :) I would love it if my commenters would leave their names! Thanks so much,
Sheila