Saturday, December 22, 2007

What a year!



Can you believe that Christmas is just 4 days away? I certainly can't! This year flew by rather quickly, that's for sure. Well, I'm 15, and I've learned a lot: it's been a stretching year, it's been an exciting year, and it has really been a good year.

It's exciting to think about what's to come, but that's really not what I'm here to talk about. I'm not really here to talk about what I did all year either, so what am I here to talk about? Good question. Let's find out.

Last weekend I had a flute performance that was simply splendid. Our flute trio (Involving another local flute teacher, Marianne, my own flute teacher, Jen Cluff, and myself) played marvelously and (my personal opinion!) stole the show. It was loads of fun, and I really enjoyed it. I also played two movements of Ernest Bloch's amazing Suite Modale. It was beautiful. Lots of fun. I also had a gig playing for a children's choir I used to sing in before we moved. It was absolutely amazing, really.


Here I am (far left) playing with the choir)

It was such a blessing to be able to go back to those people and be accepted with the gifts God has given me. It turned out beautifully too. Here is an audio clip of a fantastic piece called 'There is no Rose'. The flute is me. You'll have to scroll down and turn off the Christmas music first. Just press the pause button, and you can turn it back on after if you want. :)






I went skiing again on Thursday, which is where the top picture and the next picture are from, as well. Quite a glorious day, albeit rather cold. :) (Sorry the pics are grainy, they were taken on a cell phone)



So, what have I become? I found a note I wrote to myself last Christmas, asking me if I'd changed, what I'd learned, who I'd developed into, and the one line that truly stood out to me was this: "Some things never change, simply mature." I think I'm going to hold onto that phrase. Through the many seasons of life, we mature, we learn new things, we are stretched, we develop, and the things around us change. However, if we are truly saturated in the will of God, we don't change, do we? Who we really are stays the same!

Now, that doesn't mean that, like I said, we can't mature! By no means am I saying that! Sure, we may change in the way that we might respond differently to something after a certain experience, we may be more comfortable in certain circumstances, or not wear the same kinds of clothes, but I think that is better described by the word 'maturing'. We change when we accept Jesus and become His children. We mature as we grow in Him. It's really a growing isn't it?

Yep, it's been quite a year. Remember how I said I grew up? I did: I matured.


Some things never change...simply mature.

1 comment:

Mariah said...

Hey there! Beautiful pictures! I know what you mean about the difference between changing and maturing. Thanks for the wonderful post!
Love,
Maya