Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Comfort and Peace we can enJoy!


Hello friends,


Well, here I am, sitting comfortably at home, in a shiny neighbourhood on the edge of Canada. Sunday found me mourning. At first it took me by surprise, you see, I was supposed to go to my tiny island yesterday, but what with the weather and so on, it didn't work out. I'll go sometime in the next week, most likely, but for some reason, it really hurt me! I wanted to get away, to feel the peace of nature, and to enjoy the breeze on my face for a change, and when I had that temporarily snatched away, all my emotions poured forth.


It wasn't that I didn't want to see my family, or that I don't marvel daily in the blessings which God has bestowed upon me, but I had this incredible urge to be left alone with the quiet of the wind, and the gentle sounds of the ocean. Drop me in the middle of the prairies, and I would have been just as happy.
The other thing that really tore my heart out, was the fact that though it was a sunny Sunday afternoon, and I was longing for nature, I didn't want to go out. If I went to the most nature-ish place nearby, I would have had to go by bicycle to get there before dark, and I didn't want to. If I had gone, I would have been sort of on other people's property, and truly, in the kind of setting it would have been, I would have liked someone to share the beauty with. I have friends, mind you, wonderful friends: Mariah, Camille, Erica, Lisa, Emma, Tiffany...amazing, fantastic, incredible friends. There is one slight problem, however. I'd have to by an airplane ticket to see them. Yeah, that does put an awful damper on going out into nature with them!
So I cried about that too. I've never lived in the country, or on a little island away from all the bustle, and I know it's not heaven either, but I felt sorely missing something, and the burden was just too much to bear. My Mom was comforting me, and she told me I need to let go, and lay it all at the feet of Jesus. I tell you, that was one of the hardest things I have done in a long time. I was--as much as one can--enjoying my my misery, and didn't really want to give it up, but when I did--Oh! The joy and peace that came. I kept crying, but I could feel Jesus cradling His blubbering little girl in His arms, wiping my tears away, and giving me the comfort that only He can.
Truly, every time I've said this next phrase recently, it's just been a head decision, but when I felt that comfort, I knew that I really wanted to get to know this Jesus better. I never really saw it quite like this before, and it was amazing! I can read words written down that Jesus said! Goodness, I know it's old knowledge, but I was dumbfounded, and I fell asleep within minutes.
I just wanted to encourage you, that although some things can seem just like they've always been, when God gives you a little misery and trial, maybe He's trying to help you understand something that you've 'known' for a long time.
"2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, rejoice, be made complete, be comforted, be like-minded, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you."
Let us live in Joy!
God bless,
Sheila

6 comments:

Cowgirl_E said...

I know I've said it a milion times before, but I'll say it again.

Sheila is awesome.

Thank you so much for this post, dear. After our call Sunday night I prayed for you a couple of times, and I'm so glad that God gave you peace!! Listen, he is answering our prayers right and left! First Lisa asks for prayer, and that very night God answers, and then on Sunday you asked for prayer, and God answered! He is so incredible!

I live right "in the middle of the prairies," and sometimes I wish for some hustle-bustle. I guess it's that "grass is greener" theory. How true.

Oh, and I SO know what you mean about enjoying one's misery. Humans are strange things, you know? Why would someone enjoy their misery? But, they do! I've done it!

Like I said, really, really good post. Bravo.

Sadie said...

Great post! And I'd love to be there with you too. :(

Quick suggestion: you might want to link to my blogger profile instead of my blog, since my blog is private. I know how discouraging it is to follow a link and see that I can't get in. ;)

Anna Joy said...

I'm in the same situation...so many dear friends so far away and no one close to home! But Jesus is always there, Praise the Lord!

Maria Pauline said...

That happens to me all the time.

Like two weeks ago, I talked to my beloved cousin Mari on Skype and she told me she would be running the campground this summer and thought it would be nice if I would come and help her. I was melancholy for a few hours. But I think it was the hand of God that he intervined when I was thinking about doing everything but Norway this summer. In other words, it made me change my mind.

Or yesterday, when I was feeling down. Everyone else(rebelutionarys) seemed so much better than I and I was just a measly little girl who wasted a whole morning sleeping in.

I wish you could have come and visited me that day! We had a teeny bit of snow but mostly it was very white and beautiful and the trees were coated in white frost. And you could have been close to God's creation in the middle of the beauty.

Hugs from Maria

Jill said...

I know exactly how you feel, Sheila! Even though I don't personally know any of y'all, I do like to hear about praises and such. God bless you and comfort you, Sheila, because He is always there. Have you ever felt God just cover you? Like when you're scared,lonely,etc, He just sorta gives you a hug? It feels good to feel His presence!

Sheila said...

Yes, Jill, a great big hug is just what this felt like!