Sunday, February 17, 2008

He Holds us in His Hands


Hello dear friends,
-
I have recently discovered how amazing, encouraging, comforting, and compassionate people can be. God surely is good.
-
A recent day started out as a normal day. My Mom and I went to a practice for me on flute with my piano accompanist, and went to the bakery, and when we came home I worked on som sewing, while my Mom did some office work and made some phone calls. My Dad and I had plans to go to a symphony concert in the evening.
-
At about 4:15, my Mom had a TIA. TIA stands for Transcient Ischemic Attack, and is basically a mini-stroke. She was confused and couldn't speak, but within a couple minutes was fine. I've done quite a bit of first aid and lifeguard training, so I immediately checked her pupils, but they weren't uneven. Since that was okay, and she was acting normal (albeit laying on the bed) I called my Dad, and told him he'd better come home. I also checked in my first aid book in case there was something that I'd seriously missed and needed to act on immediately.
-
Then I called the BC nurse line, explained what had happened, and they told me to call 911. I did. I never thought I'd dial those numbers! Soon we had the ambulance there, and fortunately by that time my Dad was home. I'd kept my cool so far, and was managing pretty well. My Mom was fine, but occasionally couldn't say exactly what she wanted to. They took her to the hospital (I rode in the ambulance...is that weird or what?) and did a bunch of tests, confirming the TIA. I read her from scriptures, and did a lot of praying.
-
Since she was fine, and they were just doing a bunch of tests, my Dad and I got to go to the symphony concert, (I was SO glad I'd worn a skirt that day!) and it was such a blessing. I had a couple bouts of scared-ness, but I never cried, and if you know me, you know I cry at everything. You're reading words from an emotional girl. Anyway, I went outside at intermission to find my flute teacher (Jen) who was in the orchestra, and she was so sweet. I needed encouragement, and I got it. What a blessing.
-
The neighbours, the pastor, the paramedics, the hospital staff, rebelutionaries, the flute teachers, ;) they were all so wonderful!
-
My Mom came home in a Taxi while we were at the concert, and is now completely back to her old self, and we're so glad. Just a few more tests, and we're done. I just felt through the whole thing like God was giving me his wisdom and peace. I managed to smile when I was scared, take charge when I had to, and keep my cool in the face of what could have been a tragic situation. Now, I'm not bragging about myself by saying that; I'm bragging about my God. He is amazing!
-
Let that same God be there for you, no matter what happens. Let Him be your guide, know that He will see you through, no matter how big, how scary, or how terrible the situation. He holds us, as instruments in His hands.
-
God bless,
Sheila

5 comments:

Mariah said...

Yes! He is a wonderful God! I'm soooo glad that your day turned out okay. I love you!
Mariah

Maria Pauline said...

Isn't it amazing how God totally takes care of us when stuff like that happens? When I had a viral infection in my foot at camp in 2006, I even saw it as a blessing. I hope your mother is okay and that it isn't some sort of serious problem that caused the TIA.

Maria Pauline

Lisa said...

You must have had such a shock! Praise God that she is OK now.

Anna Naomi said...

Praise God that your mom is fine! Thank you for sharing this testimony of God's faithfulness!

Sydney Smith said...

I'm so glad to read that your mom is fine! I'll Be praying for her this week. He truely is a WONDERFUL God.

Sydney