Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Contrasts of This World


Vegetarian delight!!!

This is what my Mum came home with from the grocery store today. Don't I have an awesome Mum? When I peeked into the paper bags, I squealed with delight and just had to take a picture! 3 Grapefruit, 2 mangoes, 2 zucchini, an onion, two bunches of bananas, 3 bell peppers, many mushrooms, frozen berries for smoothies, garlic, natural toothpaste, buttermilk, dates, and yeast for homemade bread! It's enough to make this girl jump for joy! But better than that, are we not blessed! What a fabulous blessing it is in this land to be able to run down to the grocery store and buy organic, ripe, fresh fruits and vegetables, ready to be made into delicious and tasty delights. Truly a blessing.

Yesterday my Mum and I went to a fun little market with many foreign imports, and while we had a blast and many laughs, I couldn't help but think of the poor, starving children, chained to benches, working 15 hours a day to make those beautiful items. I think every time I see a label that says "Made in China", I'm going to pray for the person that made it, and I encourage you to do the same! So often we forget that someone had to be behind that, whether it was sewing something by hand, or operating a plastics machine.

Besides, who wants a cool red and white Canada hat with maple leaves on it that has a label that says "Made in China"? Certainly not me. ;) Guess it all leads back into my whole argument about Wal-Mart and other similar stores. I can proudly say it's been years since I set foot in a Wal-Mart or Costco!

Anyway...a little light on the contrast of blessing and oppression. Let's pray, thank God for our blessings, and rise up to fight for the better side. We all have the goodness that God originally created us with, laden beneath our sinful natures. With God's help, we can let that shine, and better the world with the "peace of God, which transcends all understanding". Let us pray for a peaceful world. One in which we can lay aside our evil desires, and strive for all things good.

Keep at it, kids! There's more to life than meets the eye!

Sheila

PS. I'm just posting another video on my Youtube account right now!

5 comments:

TeamBettendorf said...

Except those kids (and adults) are happy to have those sweatshop jobs because their families are hungry. And those folks that are working for minimum wage at Wal-Mart have a choice. They can find a different job if they are dissatisfied.

The state of the economy is no one's fault but the government's.

Sheila said...

Thank you for your comment! The problem is, we vote with our dollars. I agree, the government has a big responsibility, and they have failed in many ways, but we also have a huge responsibility to rid ourselves of these killing machines. (aka, Wal-Mart)

Think about how many more jobs would be made available and how many more local products would be available if a city was rid of all Wal-Marts and the like! Wal-Mart comes in, closes down 'the little guy', people don't have too many choices when it comes to work, and Wal-Mart seems like the only option.

Also, I believe that yes, I'm sure those children are glad they can provide money for their family, but I sincerely doubt they are happy about the work they must do.

The state of the economy is partially the government's fault, but WE, the taxpayers, the store-shoppers, are the ones who send the messages to the government and society. Wal-Mart would leave pretty fast if they didn't have any business.

When we all buy all overseas products, ('Made in China') we put ourselves out of jobs, and lose vital parts of our society.

Every one of us is greedy, not just government.

Mariah said...

I liked your post, Sheila! I wish we had more fresh fruits around here but it is kind of expensive once you start buying it for 10-11 people, but then again, I guess everything would be for that many people! :D But I feel like I always end up having sweets because there aren't really any other options. I'll try to remember to pray every time I see the label, 'Made in China'. That's a great idea!
Love,
Mariah

Mariah said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, I like your new YouTube video! Beautiful! :D
Mariah

Maria said...

I like that idea!

And you are right about the state of the economy. The world has always been capable of producing enough food for the entire population but then some people make tariffs so the farmers can't sell the food and they have to subsidize the farms... And now they're burning food as fuel when it is NOT better than petroleum. Not to mention inflation....

Thanks Sheila :)