Thursday, May 8, 2008

Day 1 successful!

Day one is a success!

I have not eaten any sugary junk today, and I am doing just fine. :) I decided that while I do this fast from all the yucky sugars, that I would experiment with some 'alternative tasties', so that's just what I'm doing. I made this recipe months ago, and forgot all about it, but I did it again tonight, in the space of about 5 minutes. Hopefully I can share a 'discovery' with you each day of this fast.


Banana Icy Tastiness

I have no idea what this was actually called, except that it was listed under vegan alternatives to ice cream. (Though I'm not vegan)

2 bananas
Dribble of lemon or lime juice
2-4 teaspoons of maple syrup
Dash of cinnamon (optional)

Freeze bananas overnight. Take bananas out of the freezer, and slit the skin lengthwise. Get your fingernails under the skin, and peel away. I haven't actually done this with completely frozen bananas, so if you want to be safe, peel your bananas before you freeze them, and freeze in a little bag. Put the bananas in the blender, along with a squirt of lemon or lime juice, and a bit of maple syrup. Honestly, I didn't measure, but you can do it to taste. I really like the mapleyness, so I add quite a bit. If you're not thrilled with the citrus/maple combination, you might opt for honey, or no sweetener at all. Whiz it up, and scrape it into a bowl. For extra tasties, and to make it look particularly pretty, especially if you're serving it to others, sprinkle a dash of cinnamon on top.

Note that when properly prepared, it won't look quite so much like soup as mine does. My bananas were not completely frozen, they only had about 2 hours. When I did it with completely frozen bananas, it looked a bit more like ice cream. Mine is also kind of bubbly, because I used young bananas, so they were still really starchy and gooey. Also, you have to balance how much maple syrup to use, depending on how old your bananas are, because they get sweeter as they age and the starch turns to sugar.

TASTY!!!!!! Enjoy!

Sheila

1 comment:

Sadie said...

Mmmmmm! That looks really good! :)