Saturday, May 10, 2008

We're in day 3!

I'm not doing badly with this sugar fast thing! I have to admit though, I did eat a few cookies yesterday, albeit, they were just plain, biscuits, but still... So that's the only place I sort of didn't live up to things. What do you think?

Today, I've tried another tasty treat! It's almost vegan, but it does have honey in it. However, I think if you were vegan you could just use cruelty free sugar and it would be just as good. Non-vegetarians might not be so crazy about this one, as for some, tofu is an acquired taste, but let me show you anyway. It is REALLY tasty!


Tofu-berry Sorbet

  • Small amount of tofu, I'd say maybe a chunk less than an inch thick and the size of your palm. I used firm tofu, because it was in the fridge, but this would be especially good with silken tofu, which is what I'll do next time.
  • Handful of frozen berries. I used an assortment.
  • Dribble of juice. (or you could use milk or soy milk)
  • Honey to taste (or, like I said, cruelty free sugar)

Put everything in the blender and whiz until smooth. You might have to add more juice as you go in order to make the blender actually grab anything. I was smart and made this before I made my lunch, so I put it in the freezer for 20 minutes while I made and ate lunch. When I took it out, it had a nice thin layer of frozen-ness on top, which I mixed in, and it made the whole thing very pleasantly icy. Basically, even before freezing, you end up with a sort of tofu-sorbet type thing. VERY good, especially if you really like that nutty, soy flavour that tofu has. I can't WAIT to try it with silken tofu, which I love, even on it's own.

I'm sure you could use flavoured silken tofu as well, or use other fruits. I might even try making a larger amount and freezing it to see if I can scoop it out later or if it gets too hard. It might not, since it's so thick, at least when using firm tofu.


So there is my tasty, non-sugarful, easy treat for the day!

Hugs,
Sheila

1 comment:

Cowgirl_E said...

Thanks for all the recipes! I haven't had time do try any of them yet, but I'm looking forward to making them soon!