Friday, November 28, 2008

About Me

Me, summer 2007. Haven't used this picture in eons!

Hey there,

I changed my about me thing a bit, just because the other one was getting old. And here it is:

"Hi, I'm Sheila Christine, and these are some things I love. Music, and singing, and friends, and adventure; Jesus, and praying, and gypsy skirts and blue skies, world peace, and daisies, and weeds, and raindrops and rainbows. I enjoy chocolate fudge and vegetarian food, and big green meadows and fuzzy dogs; faeries, and pussy-willows; pink and green walls; multi-coloured jackets and chai tea and scarves. Crocheting and butterflies, bare feet and hairy armpits; warm sand and pebbly beaches, islands, and hippies, and people, and excitement. I revel in life, and love, and wonder, and thinking; families, and tiny babies; poetry, hugs, and bright red blood. I think about yesterday, tomorrow, now, and forever; time in it's circles, and huge old growth trees; about pigs and their piglets, and cows and their cow-lets, frightening things, beautiful things, forever things.

But mostly...I love LIFE!!!"

So that's me. :) And I've decided I'm going to try to include a nice quote with most posts. I've been collecting quotes for almost a year now, and it's getting to be rather a long list. I might as well share them! Here is the first one. For those of you who I have emailed, hopefully this will be familiar, as it's been in my email 'signature' for quite some time. I don't know who Martha Graham is, but in any case, here is the quote. I absolutely LOVE this one, and it fits well in a post like this. :)

"There is a vitality, a life force, and energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and be lost, the world will not have it."
~ Martha Graham

Hugs,
Sheila

6 comments:

Idzie said...

Ooh, so cool!

I'm an avid quote collector as well! I've been meaning for a while to devote an entire blog post to my very favorite ones... Thanks for making me think of it! I think I'll do that today. :-)

Emi said...

Lol, seems there's a little trend of quotes going around peoples blogs...Quotes are awesome ^__^. Although, I must admit I'm more partial to the funny ones myself XD

jen said...

There are some more lines for that quote you may be interested to note.
Best,
Jen
------------
There is a vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable it is nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep open and aware directly to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open. No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer, divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than others. -Martha Graham to Agnes DeMille

Martha Graham Biography on PBS:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/martha-graham/about-the-dancer/497/

Other quotes:

"We learn by practice. Whether it means to learn to dance by practicing dancing or to learn to live by practicing living, the principles are the same. One becomes in some area an athlete of God.

“Practice means to perform, over and over again in the face of all obstacles, some act of vision, of faith, of desire. Practice is a means of inviting the perfection desired.”

"It takes ten years, usually, to make a dancer. It takes ten years of handling the instrument, handling the material with which you are dealing, for you to know it completely.

Sheila said...

Thanks Jen! I originally found this quote when reading that article, and extracted it for my email signature, but I couldn't remember what article it was from! Thank you!

Jen said...

Oh yes, and P.S.
Martha Graham danced/choreographed Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring" which is one gorgeous piece of Copland!
http://www.npr.org/programs/specials/milestones/991027.motm.apspring.html

I think that dancing around the room while listening to Copland's Appalachian is a bit of a brilliant idea. :>)
Jen

Mariah said...

Beautiful! And I've always loved that picture. Here are a few quotes that I like that come in a weekly email that I get:
"Forgiveness is letting go of the hope that the past can be changed."
- Oprah Winfrey
The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.
- John F. Kennedy
The ones I save always deal with what I am going through at the time. A year from now those same quotes may not mean much to me but right now I like them. :)
Hugs,
Love you lots,
Maya