Saturday, April 25, 2009

Running Free


So I ran today. I flew!

I don't know what it is, but when you are running, time is irrelevant, or at least, it can be. In order to press on, you have to live each step in the moment, never thinking of how far you've come or how far you've yet to go. When my mind wanders, and I see a breathtaking view, I forget I am running, and all I can feel is the gentle breeze, brushing softly against my face, keeping me refreshed and able to continue.

It's such a metaphor for life! Such an accurate description of time... For what is time? This subjective thing that moves so slowly or quickly, and allows us to let things in the past go, and look forward to the future. All in one moment, a lifetime.

I run, and reach my destination; an old maple tree on a practically deserted road, and I lean my heaving body against it's cracking sides. It holds me, and comforts me. It is almost as though I do not exist, for I look up, and my shadow has been swallowed by this massive life-giving force behind me. Stopping, I look around, and see the grasses gently waving in the wind, and listen to the birds and rabbits moving softly through the brush. That breeze, it tickles my ears and eyelashes, and I feel so very calm.

Resting there for a while, I see all the life around me; the moss on the tree, and tiny leaves growing out from that soft, green carpet. A small fly that lands upon my shirt and decides to honour me with a brief visit. The sun, which shines it's sleep head upon this secret haven of hope and life. I see it all so clearly! It is all so vivid now!

And then I run again, propelled forward by some unseen force, running--somehow--for a cause. With a purpose. Because of love?

Wind in on my face, I return home. Happy. Joyful.

Sheila

6 comments:

Idzie said...

Running for me is one of the most spiritual experiences. I love it!

beautifulgraceblog said...

You have such a wonderful perspective on life! I love you!

I should go run sometime.

Mariah said...

I like running, even though I can only seem to run for about 5 minutes at a time. Lovely! :D
Hugs,
Maya

Anonymous said...

I love to run in the wind! Its unlike any other experience.

Dixie

Sheila said...

Thanks girls!

Maya, I can't run much longer than that myself, I take lots of breaks and walk in between. :-)

Idzie, isn't it though? It's an amazing connection to the Creator.

Maria, thanks! I wish we could run together!

Dixie, thanks! It's nice to see you around! Do you have a blog or something? I'd love to get to know you. :-)

Lisa said...

Hi Sheila,

Personally, I prefer skating to running, but that's just me. (Unfortunately you can't just get up and go skating whenever you please.)

This has nothing to do with your post, but I couldn't think of anywhere else to tell you. Anyway, I haven't checked my email in a while and I saw that you requested to follow me on twitter when my profile was protected. Well, it's unprotected now and for some reason I can't approve your request. My twitter profile was lisasca by the way.

Lisa