Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tuesday, October 27, 2009!

So this is my Peek Into Your Day!

YLCF Blog Carnival

I woke up this morning around 8:00, groggy, and certainly not in the mood to get up and get going.  I did get up though.  :-)  First thing I did was make myself some hot chocolate, as has been my routine of late, and brought it to the living room to join my family in our quiet time.  I sat and read a fair bit in Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis.  What marvelous and edifying book!

Afterwards, I headed to my room to make my bed, tidy up the surfaces, and change into daytime attire.  During that time I listened to part of a Focus on the Family recording of a radio play done of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, which was a lot of fun.  I eventually pulled myself away and helped my Mum get breakfast out, which I ate with her since my Dad had already headed out to get his hair trimmed.

Breakfast over and the kitchen tidy, I began to work on studying some first aid procedures for lifeguarding as we have an extra simulation session on Thursday that I have to be prepared for.  At about 10:15, I made my way to the piano, and worked there for approximately an hour.  Played on the computer for 20 minutes or so, and then more piano.  Then lunch!  I decided to study a little more for my lifeguarding, and then proceeded, once again to the piano.  There might have been a couple breaks doing silly things in there, I can't quite remember.  Around 1:30 I started to stress, as I knew I'd be at work in an hour and work has been slightly trying lately, but I prayed about it and pulled myself together.  I got my food together for my break at work, and played piano until I left for work at 2:10.

Arriving at the swimming pool at 2:20, I signed in, and changed into my uniform and started working on my lesson plans for teaching later in the day.  Feeling a bit emotionally worn and worried about having to do extra training with my boss.  Fortunately she came and told me that I would just be doing maintenance or something for that first hour.  So I basically just sat and worked on my lesson plans, and shadow guarded for 15 minutes.  I can explain the whole shadow thing at a later time, but suffice to say that I freeze in emergency simulations (though not in the real thing) and so the people who test us are unsure of my capability in procedures and want me to just shadow someone else guarding instead of being the only one on deck.  Ah well.  This too will pass.

Fortunately I shadowed a very kind guard who has been through this a few times as well, and he gave me some good advice and encouragement I really needed.  I appreciated that a lot.  Then I went back and completed my lesson plans for the day and got my towel and wetsuit and such ready for teaching.

At 3:30 I went out to teach swimming, and taught 3 lessons and 13 children in the next hour and a half.  Those three classes are insane!  After that session of teaching, I have an hour-long break, and for the past week or so my Mum has been coming to visit me on my break for reasons I won't go into.  It was lovely!  We drank tea in the car and chatted about the lessons I'd just taught, plus, she brought my freshly baked cookies!  Always a treat.

Then I went back and shadowed for a half hour.  I honestly can't remember what I actually did that half hour, as I'd already changed into my dry suit and shorts under my guard uniform, before.  Perhaps I read through emergency protocol or something.  Oh!  I did maintenance!  Cleaned windows and so on.

At 6:30 I had one more hour of lessons, 2 classes, 6 kids.  Now these classes are beyond sweet and adorable and wonderful!  So much fun!  Totally fabulous way to end my work day.  Sat in the hot tub a bit, warmed up, rinsed the pool off of me and cleaned up to come home.

At home, I practiced piano for another half hour, making my total piano practice for the day 3 hours, and then I made some more hot chocolate and watched an episode of "Hogan's Heroes" with my parents.  Now I'm here, writing this!

...I do believe it's bed time, or perhaps time for reading Philipians and/or more of Mere Christianity, or maybe listening to more Narnia!  :-)

Hugs,
Sheila

PS. I'll be doing more 'Peeks Into My Day' even after the YLCF carnival is over, so be sure to check back.  Hopefully I can do them when I'm less groggy as well, and on more interesting days!  :-)

7 comments:

musicmaiden said...

Wow, 3 hours of piano practice? That's awesome! What are you working on?

Sheila said...

Good question! I'm currently playing a Prelude and Fugue in Bb major from book 1, by J.S. Bach, Sonata in C minor, Op. 10, No. 1, by Beethoven, Intermezzo in E major, Op. 116, by Brahms, Clair de Lune by Debussy, Siz Variations on 'Land of the Silver Birch, by Pierre Gallant, Etude-Tableau, Op. 33, No. 8, by Rachmaninoff, and Etude in Ab major by Chopin! Lots of music! :-)

Mariah said...

Hey! Wow, I hadn't checked your blog for a few days and you've done quite a bit. :) It was really nice to hear about a normal day for you.

Three hours of piano practice sounds like fun. I've really enjoyed practicing lately, since I quit taking lessons I've just been doing whatever I feel like, so I've been doing lots of funs little songs.

Hugs,
Love you!
Maya

Naomi said...

hey, thanx for the comment on my day-in-the-life post! Yes, I'm a musician too... pianist/keyboardist. I wish I could play such lovely classical pieces like you!! :) Classical music relaxes me. But actually, I play mostly by ear, usually while leading worship and often with my eyes closed. :) lol

Sheila said...

I enjoy playing like that as well, thanks for your comment! :-)

Laura said...

Hi! I came to your blog because of your link on the Day In Your Life post, and just wanted to say that it sounds like you had a very interesting day, and I'm jealous that you drank *2* cups of hot chocolate!!!! :)

Sheila said...

:-) Thanks Laura! And I'm having another this morning!