Saturday, November 7, 2009

Patriotism Ain't so Bad After All!


I don't know about you, but have you ever checked your National Anthem to see if perhaps it is worthy of being prayed?  Often the commonly sung verses of Anthems aren't quite as God-glorifying, but if you look further, you might just find some gems.  For example, this is the fourth and last verse of 'O Canada'

Ruler Supreme, who hearest humble prayer,
Hold our dominion, within thy loving care.
Help us to find, O God, in Thee, 
A lasting, rich reward,
As waiting for the better day, 
We ever stand on guard!
God keep our land glorious and free,
O Canada, we stand on guard, for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

I feel so proud of those people who wrote those words, my own fellow citizens, many years ago.  I often pray this last verse as a prayer, because it is so amazingly heartfelt.



 I'm a dual citizen, so I look to Switzerland for more words dedicated to God and country.  Lo and behold, I find all the verses of the Swiss 'Psalm' or Anthem, to be glorious in their dedication to our Heavenly Father.  Here are the loosely translated English words of the first verse.

When the morning skies grow red,
and over us their radiance shed
Thou, O Lord, appeareth in their light
when the alps glow bright with splendor,
pray to God, to Him surrender
for you feel and understand
that He dwelleth in this land.


Now... I do believe the last verse of the US anthem is also rather God-honouring.  Do you want to quote me on that or find out for yourself!

Hugs,
Sheila

PS. Rest of the words to the Swiss Psalm here, and rest of the words to O Canada here.  If you're interested, the Star Spangled Banner of the USA is here.  I'm not from there, but I'm sure plenty of you are.  :-)

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Pray to God, to Him surrender...As waiting for the better day. There - a uniting line from Canada and Switzerland - a prayer. Great stuff Sheila, - thanks for reminding us of the godly heritage of our countries. :-)

BJ Hamrick said...

I love the photos on your last post -- they're beautiful. A lot nicer than apartment life, that's for sure. ;)

Sheila said...

:-) Thanks both of you!