Monday, January 4, 2010

Of Cold Water and New Things


 Note: For the uninitiated, I am a lifeguard and I work at the local swimming pool lifeguarding, cleaning bathrooms, and best of all, teaching kids how to swim.  That's the context here.  :-)

This morning, getting into the shower was like being at work.  You know, heading out towards the pool with six little munchkins trailing behind me, trying to zip the sticky zipper on my wetsuit, and noting, with dread, that the kids behind me know the answer to "Who goes in first?" which, of course is "Teacher!"  With cold dread (literally!) I line up the children on the edge of the pool and crouch down beside them, asking "What do we do first?" and watch them all recite the three safety rules: "Stop!" six little hands make stop signs.  "Look!"  Six little hands go up to their eyes, and the peer into the water below.  "Ask!" and they check with me that all is safe.  Then, the dreaded question.  "Who goes in first?"  "Teacher!"

I paste a grin on my face and slip into the water, lying through my teeth "It's not that bad, hop in!" as I stand on my tippy-toes trying to keep as much of me as possible out of the water.  Some of the kids don't heed my instructions and the jump wildly into the water, splashing my nice, dry face.  One child sits on the edge, squirming, and snatching quick glimpses into my eyes, trying to somehow hide from me and manage to not get into the water, their toes barely touching its wetness.  I smile, and talk to them cheerfully, eventually lifting them off the wall and into the dreaded pit of coldness, their face covered with an expression of terror.  I feel like a traitor, making them do that when I don't even want to!  Yet, they are all in, and now, so am I, and all I have left to do is get my shoulders and head wet, and then I'll be fine, at least until I come back into the cold pool from the warm one.  For now anyway, my students and I will survive the swimming pool's icy clutches.

~~~

That's kind of how I feel today.  I thought of it, of course, when trying to get into the shower, for it felt cold and wet and I didn't want to.  It was different from the comfortable air I was in before.  Tomorrow I'm going to Bible School for the first time.  It's going to be different.  It's very exciting, and I'm know I'm ready, but it's going to be--metaphorically speaking--very cold.  Once I get in all the way, I'm sure I'll get used to it and it won't seem so chilly anymore.  I know that from experience, and so do my swimming students.

The awesome thing is that I have a wetsuit!  That wetsuit keeps the water from seeming unbearable.  God is my wesuit.  He will provide for me and comfort me as I jump into the waters of something new.  He has a plan laid out, and I don't need to worry.  He'll keep me warm, even if it feels kind of cold.  I'm so glad I can trust Him.

Lots of hugs,
Sheila

1 comment:

Meisie said...

Hugs to you and your family! have tons of fun girl!