Wednesday, September 8, 2010

An Amusing Look at Me and ADD

^^ That's me on the tower in Texas, btw.  :-)

Hey World!

I just thought I'd share an amusing anecdote, rather than posting something pithy today.  :-)  Personally, I believe that 'ADD' and 'ADHD' are, to some extent myths.  I don't deny the symptoms or that challenge of working with them in today's culture and western society, but I do believe it to be, in most cases, (though not all) a presentation simply of a kind of personality.  Because I was never in the public school system, I was never tested for ADD or ADHD, however I've long suspected I would be tagged as such.  I still have never been tested, but after studying for school all day long today, and noting for the umpteenth time the random fidgity habits I've always had, I thought it would be fun to take an online ADD test.  So I did.  Let me list some of the items...

21. My thoughts bounce around as if my mind is a pinball machine. 

I thought this was rather funny.  It's true, too!  My head is constantly busy, and it's made it hard for me to get to sleep for my entire life.  I just can't shut my brain off!  Somehow seeing it written out and realising that other people have pinball brains makes me feel better.

22. My brain feels as if it is a television set with all the channels going at once.

Or, as I described it earlier today, like a web browser with 20 different tabs open, and I just can't pick which one to look at!

23. I am unable to stop daydreaming.

Oh yes.  And I admit, I love my daydreams.  :-)

18. Even when sitting quietly, I am usually moving my hands or feet.

Always.  No exceptions.  My toes are always moving, and so sometimes I try to stop them, but invariably, 30 seconds later, I find my fingers tapping, or my legg wiggling.  There is no hope.  :-P

15. In conversations, I start to answer questions before the questions have been fully asked.

Haha... yes.

So in summary, I was simply amused.  Apparently there must be lots of people out there who study for 10 minutes only to get up, wander around, and return to studying for another 10 minutes, after which they will check their email, and return to studying for 10 minutes, after which they will start doodling, and return to studying... yesssiree!  That's me.  :-D

Hugs,
Sheila

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Ummmm, Yup! :-) Now imagine if you'd been watching TV or planted in front of "mother" Disney and "father" video game for the last 18years!! Yikes.