Monday, November 8, 2010

What Biology, Apple Crisp, Laundry, and Babies Have in Common!


Life.  It is this great wandering, vast expanse that stretches behind and before me.  It is the richness of what it is to exist in Christ.  It is so good, even if it is hard.  My life is studded with gems: beautiful memories of the past, and exciting memories of the future.  (There needs to be a word for that.  It's a terrible lexical gap our language has.  I want to express abstracts! ;-)

As of today, I am registered for full-time university courses at Athabasca University, starting January 1st.  I've got two Biology courses, an English course, and a Health studies course!  I'll be doing it all at home, but getting full credits just like anybody else.  Come 2012, I will (God willing) be going off to university somewhere else, enrolled in a Bachelor of Midwifery program!  Needless to say, I am beyond excited.  

I'm finishing up an upgrade on my high school Biology (which was basically nil since I studied music so exclusively) and taking some workshops and courses to get my birth doula training through DONA (Doulas of North America), and it's so thrilling!  It's hard work, but it's wonderful.  My schedule is so different from anything it has been in the past year.  I get up in the morning and dress in a way that pleases the Lord, spending time with Him in His Word and in prayer, and enjoy breakfast with my family.  Then I begin studying, and do so for several hours, breaking only for hugs and tea and worthwhile discussions.  The studies, too are so fascinating!  I never thought I would enjoy cell biology, but it is amazingly interesting.

Going for runs, making apple crisp, sewing random things, doing laundry, reading books on birth, and crocheting fill up the spaces in between all the other work, and I love it.  I feel productive, for once!  I feel pretty, and like I am living a life that honours the Lord.  I know there will be challenges, and goodness, even today there were some, but it is a good life, and it has purpose.  To see where He leads me in ministry this coming year will be tremendous indeed!

Oh Lord, you are beautiful!
Sheila

1 comment:

Maria said...

Right now I am so jealous of you, Sheila, but also super happy for you. We should talk sometime soon.

-Maria