Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ginger Pudding


So this morning I got up and baked.  Because it was delicious and yummy and super easy and fun to make.  This one is from Lesotho, and it's called ginger pudding.  I made a sweet and beautiful custard to pour over it, and enjoyed it all morning for breakfast, and brunch, and lunch...and dessert after supper.  :-)

Thank you Lord for baking!

Ginger Pudding (Lesotho)
This steamed pudding is common in British-influenced southern Africa.

Serves 6-8
375*F / 190*C
50-55 min

Combine in 9-inch square baking dish:
2 cups boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbs vinegar
Stir until sugar dissolves.  Set aside.

In separate bowl combine:
1/3 cup margarine, melted (I used butter)
1/3 cup shortening, melted 
2 Tbs apricot, currant, or plum jam (I used about 5 Tbs of peach jam)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger (I used...5, 6?)

Mix well, adding a bit of milk if batter is too dry (I did add quite a bit, and here's where I added the extra jam too).  Preheat oven to 375*F (I did this when I started mixing).  Drop cake mixture by small spoonfuls into syrup.  Cover tightely with lid or foil (so it steams) and bake 50-55 minutes or until set.  Serve topped with custard, fresh or whipped cream, or milk. (Whoops!  I forgot to cover mine, but it still set, and was awesome and cakey and had beautiful gooey sauce at the bottom.)

For the custard sauce: (my own recipe)

Combine in saucepan:
2 Tbs corn starch
Pinch salt
2 1/2 Tbs sugar

Beat egg separately, adding a little cold milk. 
Mix remaining of 2 1/2 cups milk into cornstarch mixture.  Add egg mixture by straining through a sieve to remove firm parts.

Cook over medium heat, whisking most of the time until boiling.  Boil 1-2 minutes.  Add:
1 tsp vanilla

Yum yum.  :-)

Enjoy, friends!  Perhaps your entire day will be taken up by ginger pudding like mine was... if it is, let me know.  It's bound to be a good day.

In Him,
Sheila

2 comments:

Lorraine said...

It was VERY yummy!!! Please do it again :-) Love that you took a pic, and wrote about it here. How lovely! (like you ;-)

Meisie said...

hmmmm makes my mouth water. Was a favourite in our house growing up. (7 of us in total, so this was a cheap pudding(dessert) for the family) We call it 'Bruin Bak Poeding' in Afrikaans (brown baked pudding) you can try some of Bird's custard powder next time for the custard, it is the best ;-) make it nice and runny so you have lots of sauce :D