Monday, May 4, 2015

Hope

You can't buy back those moments, you know?  Some things you can revel in by Googling them over and over, scrolling through pictures of places or people.  But there are moments and hearts and lives that will never pop up on your newsfeed or be real again anywhere but your heart.

I'm feeling again for the first time in a while.  My hope is rested somewhere, and before it was free falling.

"not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. " - Rom 8:23-26

And that's salvation.  What about tomorrow's hope, where there's no specific, catch-all verse offering hope?  Freedom from worry?  Perhaps (Matt. 6).  But a foundation for my tomorrow, for the realities of my inner spirals and deepest inabilities to swim through life?  That's harder.

Those moments, though, those un-Google-able ones?  I feel them again now, with this new hope.  I look back and they aren't just pictures they are people.  And I find myself missing them before I'm gone.  It's so clear, so obvious that God is in my becoming a nurse, this wonderful chance to love on the lovable and the unlovely alike.

I'm thinking more about the rest of life - the important parts and the people that fill it.  And I'm realizing the incredible gift I've been given.

Sheila

1 comment:

Lorraine said...

Perhaps my all-time favourite!

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee,
Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not,
As Thou hast been,Thou forever wilt be.
Refrain:
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me!
Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above;
Join with all nature in manifold witness,
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy, and love.
(Refrain)
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own great presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside.